The Verb To Do

The Verb To Do

The verb to do is another common verb in English. It can be used as an auxiliary and a main verb. It is often used in questions.

Forms of To Do
Present Past Perfect
Form
Continuous
Form
I / you / we / they
do
did
have / had done
are / were doing
he / she / it
does
did
has / had done
is / was doing

As an auxiliary verb do is used with a main verb when forming interrogative or negative sentences, or for adding emphasis. It is also called the dummy operator or dummy auxiliary.

Question Positive Statement (spoken) Negative Statement (spoken)
Singular
Do I? I do I do not (I don't)
Do you? You do You do not (You don't)
Does he/she/it? He/she/it does He/she/it does not (He/she/it doesn't)
Plural
Do we? We do We do not (We don't)
Do you? You do You do not (You don't)
Do they? They do They do not (They don't)

Examples


Do Does
Question - ? "Do you always take the bus to work?" "Does she ever do her homework on time?"
Positive Answer - Yes "Yes I do." "Yes she does."
Negative Answer - No "No I don't." "No she doesn't."

When using the continuous tense do becomes doing and it doesn't change.


Doing
Question - ? "Are you doing your homework?"
Positive Answer - Yes "Yes I am ."
Negative Answer - No "No I'm not."

When using the simple past tense do becomes did and it doesn't change.


Did
Question - ? "Did you always take the bus to work?"
Positive Answer - Yes "Yes I did ."
Negative Answer - No "No I didn't ."

When using the perfect tense do becomes done and it doesn't change.


Done
Question - ? "Have you done your homework?"
Positive Answer - Yes "Yes I have ."
Negative Answer - No "No I haven't."

More functions for the verb “to do

The verb “to do” works as a main verb.

For example:-

YT - My husband does the dishes.

ST - Gosh! Did he do them yesterday?

YT - Yes he did.

Do is used as an auxiliary verb (dummy auxiliary) in the question form.

For example: I know the way. Do you know the way?

Do is used for emphasis in positive statements.

For example: I do like this beer!

!Note - As an auxiliary verb 'do' is always followed by the base form of the main verb (infinitive).